The Temple of Saint-Tropez
The Temple of Saint-Tropez was officially inaugurated on the 4th of November 1928. During the First World War, when the Citadel of Saint-Tropez was transformed into a place of internment for German and Austro-Hungarian civilians, a demand from Protestant believers arose. Many of these prisoners, Germans, Austrians and Alsatians, of the Reformed faith, wished to celebrate their faith. In addition, some Protestant families lived in Saint-Tropez. A pastor was then sent by the Evangelical Reformed Church of Saint-Raphaël every 15 days. After the war, it was not until the 1920s that Mr Iachia, who owned the Renaissance and the Sporting, bought the land behind these establishments to build a temple for the Protestant community.
On his death, the land was bequeathed in 1927 by his widow to the Protestant Reformed Church of Saint-Raphaël and the Temple was built there thanks to private funding, notably from the Vosges and England. The Temple was renovated in 2020 and is part of the United Protestant Church of the East Var.
7, rue du Temple
Phone number +33 (0)4 94 95 25 37